Thursday, March 31, 2011

TOM & JERRY…… PUZZLE!

TOM & JERRY…… PUZZLE! 02-12-2010
Try to solve this simple puzzle, if you can.
At night, Tom could not sleep. Jerry the menace is still after him. After fighting battle for more than half a century for supremacy Tom, want to give up fighting with Jerry. He is not getting any younger. How long he is going to chase jerry all over the place .Day after Tomorrow is Christmas day. It is a good day to start new life. Therefore, Tom decides to make compromise with jerry for the sake of old age.

Next day Tom went searching for jerry all over the place. At last, he found him behind his back yard. As soon as Jerry saw Tom searching for him, he ran and hides behind the wooden logs.
Tom “Jerry. Come out. I have come to make compromise with you!”
Jerry “what sort of compromise?”
Tom “comes on pal! Tom held out his paw. However, jerry was not convinced. Tom continued….’ We are going to be great friends!” come out… let’s talk”
So far, neither of them trusted each other. There was always lingering suspicions on their mind. Jerry wants to know the reason for the change of heart and the motivation behind ‘being great friend’. Is Tom trying to use me as bait? At last, jerry decided to try it. He came out of the wooden logs. Both of them shook their paws and sat on a near by bench.
Tom “Jerry, You look funny with our baldhead…we both are getting old. How long we can run all over the place. You know jerry that I am suffering from arthritis. We will give-up our enmity for the sake of old age. Tomorrow is Christmas day. I am inviting you for lunch at my house. We will start your new friendship with hot drinks and roasted chicken (Turkey)”Jerry started salivating; Drinks and Roasted Chicken! Jerry agreed to end the enmity once for all after he had drinks and roasted chicken.

Jerry “A promise is a promise is a promise!”
Tom “Thank you Jerry, I feel so relived. Come to my house at one O’ clock. We will make promise over the drinks and roasted chicken.”
Jerry promised to attend lunch at Tom’s palace. After shaking their paws, they left the place. Jerry was sure those who made promise on a Christmas day over drinks and roasted chicken never went back on their promises.
Next day after noon jerry dressed up for lunch .He locked his house and left for Tom’s place.

What better way than to celebrity Christmas with your old enemy with drinks and roasted chicken. Tom purchased one bottle of kutty shark special and went to buy chicken. However, One chicken cost Rs.50/-! Tom found he was short of Rs. 25/-. “Ok, no problem, after all friendship is to share and care: I will ask Jerry Rs.25/- and we both will share the cost of chicken.” He went back home.
DING!….DONG!!
Tom went and opened the main door. There jerry was standing in his best suit with a stupid smile on his face.
Tom held out his paw and both of the shook their paws.
Tom “Welcome Jerry, feel at home! “
Tom led Jerry to his famous sofa. After taking about bad weather and inflation, Tom said. “Jerry, one chicken cost Rs.50/- and I am running short of money. Shall we share the cost of chicken? Do you have Rs.25/- with you? “
Jerry.” Sure, let us share the cost. Here is my share of Rs .25/- “
Jerry handed over the money to buy chicken. Tom collected Rs.25/- from Jerry and give total of Rs.50/- for buying chicken .Tom the master chef ordered Jerry to buy chicken from the near by shop. Jerry went to buy chicken. Mean while Tom made table and went to kitchen. He kept all the necessary ingredients ready to fry the chicken .Everything was in place Tom patiently waited for Jerry.
After paying Rs.50 /- Jerry bought one chicken However, chicken cost only Rs.45/- .shop owner gave Rs.5/- back to Jerry. Jerry felt very happy. He gave Rs.2/- to the boy who ‘cleaned’ chicken and went back to home.
At home, Tom was waiting for Jerry. Jerry handed over chicken to Tom. He took out balance Rs 3/- change and gave Rs.1.50/- to Tom and put his money Rs.1.50/- in his pocket.
Tom “Now, what is the cost of one turkey (chicken)”?
Jerry “chicken cost only Rs.45/- I gave Rs.2-/- tips to the boy who cleaned chicken. Balance Rs 3/- we had shared it. That is Rs. 1.50/- for each one of us”.

After doing mental mathematics Tom found one Rupee missing!
Tom “Jerry you bought chicken for Rs.50/- and shop owner returned Rs.5/- back to you.O.K? Then you gave Rs.2/- tips to the boy for cleaning chicken. Balance Rs3/- is here. You took one rupee fifty paisa (1.50/-) and gave Rs 1.50/- to me. That is fine. So, the cost of chicken per head is Rs.23.50/- minus Rs1.50/- that is Rs.23.50 x Rs 2 = Rs 47 + Rs 2/- that makes it to Rs 49/-only! Now you tell me where is the missing one rupee?
Jerry “I had not taken”
Tom “Then where did it GO?”
Jerry “I swear! I did not take it”
It was only the beginning of war.
Jerry looked very much-worried .In fact he did not take one rupee. Then where it is?
To pacify Jerry Tom put his arm around Jerry’s shoulder.
Tom “How much money I gave you to buy one chicken?”
Jerry “Total amount of Rs 50 /- only.” Out of that twenty five Rupees is mine!”
Tom “Are you sure?”
Jerry “I am absolutely sure”.
Tom “what is the cost of chicken?”
Jerry “I gave Rs.50 /- to the shop owner for one chicken. He then told me chicken cost only Rs.45/- .he even retuned Rs. 5 /- to me. For cleaning chicken, I gave Rs.2 /- as tips to the shop boy.
Tom “You dumb head mouse! Now you listen carefully…. ‘You bought chicken for
Rs.50/- and shop owner returned Rs.5/- back to you.O.K? Then you gave Rs.2/- tips to the boy for cleaning chicken. Balance Rs3/- is here. You took one rupee fifty paisa (1.50/-) and gave Rs 1.50/- to me. That is fine. So, the cost of chicken per head is Rs.23.50/- minus Rs1.50/- that is Rs.23.50 x Rs 2 = Rs 47 + Rs 2/- that makes it to Rs 49/-only! Now you tell me where the missing one rupee?”
Jerry after scratching his baldhead started calculating…. “I gave you Rs.25/-for chicken and I got Rs1.50/-. So, the chicken cost me Rs.23.50/-. For two of us . ..it is 23.50 x 2 essseeequal to Rs47/- plus (+) Rs 2/- for cleaning tips for the boy … jerry was not sure so he asked Tom” Am I right dear’?
Tom “you are perfectly right dear!”
Jerry “so, that makes it to Rs 49/- only! “Showing his toothless smile jerry asked Tom
“Where is the missing one rupee?”
Tom pulled up jerry by his ear and screamed “ that is what I have been asking you…WHERE IS THE MISSING ONE RUPEEE?
Jerry blinked twice before he gave a blood punch on Tom’s nose. “MEEEEEEEAAAAAOOOOOOOOOW!”
Tom immediately dropped Jerry. And jerry ran for his life.
And the chase begins…
“NOW, WILL YAAA TELL ME, WHERE IS THE MISSING ONE RUPEE?”
Try to solve this problem if you can.
You all are born and brought up with Tom and Jerry. That is the reason I made this puzzle into a tail story. There is a twist in the tail (puzzle). More than three decade ago, my friend had asked similar type of puzzle to me. Luckily, he was none better than I was. Any one can ask puzzle but to solve the puzzle is not always easy.
Honey, to be frank with you I still do not know the answer! You know the simplest way of solving problem? Sleep over it! Problem will get solved by it self! In my life, you know I had tried it on few occasions. And you know honey, it works! i.e. when my wife left me with my only daughter to her native place, I went in for self imposed exile. Now you tell me where is the problem? You see, my ways of reasoning are different from you.
Now tell me where is the missing one rupee? This puzzle may sound simple but it is not easy to solve. Now try to solve this puzzle and give me peace of mind.
Friend,
Jivan.
N.B . Video presentation of this puzzle with Tom and Jerry would be much more interesting.